People Australia

  • searches all National Centre of Biography websites
  • searches all National Centre of Biography websites
  • searches all National Centre of Biography websites

Browse Lists:

Cultural Advice

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people should be aware that this website contains names, images, and voices of deceased persons.

In addition, some articles contain terms or views that were acceptable within mainstream Australian culture in the period in which they were written, but may no longer be considered appropriate.

These articles do not necessarily reflect the views of The Australian National University.

Older articles are being reviewed with a view to bringing them into line with contemporary values but the original text will remain available for historical context.

Lucas, John (1796–1875)

John Lucas married Mary Rowley in 1817. In 1822 he built his first flour mill at Harris Creek and in 1825 erected a second mill at Woronora. The mill operated until the late 1830s when it burnt down. In 1821 John was also assigned a publican's licence and by 1827 was working as a builder with his brother William. They were declared insolvent when they were unable to fulfill a contract to erect a court house at Liverpool.

In 1832 John received 213 acres as part of his wife's inheritance, 113 acres of which he subdivided with a view to selling. This was the beginning of closer settlement for the suburb of Croydon. In the early 1850s he moved with his family to Gundaroo.

* further information: Peter McKay, A Nation Within a Nation: The Lucas Clan in Australia (2004), pp 743-45

Citation details

'Lucas, John (1796–1875)', People Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, https://peopleaustralia.anu.edu.au/biography/lucas-john-25625/text33934, accessed 26 September 2021.

© Copyright People Australia, 2012