People Australia

  • searches all National Centre of Biography websites
  • searches all National Centre of Biography websites
  • searches all National Centre of Biography websites

Browse Lists:

Cultural Advice

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people should be aware that this website contains names, images, and voices of deceased persons.

In addition, some articles contain terms or views that were acceptable within mainstream Australian culture in the period in which they were written, but may no longer be considered appropriate.

These articles do not necessarily reflect the views of The Australian National University.

Older articles are being reviewed with a view to bringing them into line with contemporary values but the original text will remain available for historical context.

Thomas Howard (c. 1754–?)

Thomas Howard (c.1754- ) was found guilty on 12 January 1785 at the Old Bailey, London, of stealing a blue satin pincushion, three gold lockets, and one gold pin, valued at 39 shillings. Sentenced to 7 years transportation, he was sent to the Ceres hulk on 5 April 1785 and was discharged to the Scarborough in February 1787. He arrived at Sydney in January 1788 as part of the First Fleet.

Howard was sent to Norfolk Island on the Sirius in March 1790. He maintained himself on a Queenborough lot of which he had cleared 66 rods by July 1791. He returned to Port Jackson in February 1792.

Howard received a 30 acre grant at The Ponds on 22 February 1792 but there is no evidence that he developed the land. There are no further records for Howard in the colony after 1792.

* information from Mollie Gillen, The Founders of Australia: A Biographical Dictionary of the First Fleet (1989), pp 179-80

Additional Resources

Citation details

'Howard, Thomas (c. 1754–?)', People Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University,, accessed 23 April 2024.

© Copyright People Australia, 2012

Life Summary [details]


c. 1754

Passenger Ship
Key Events
Key Places
Convict Record

Crime: theft (house)
Sentence: 7 years
Court: Old Bailey, London
Trial Date: 12 January 1785