Attention Internet Explorer User

Your web browser has been identified as Internet Explorer .

In the coming months this site is going to be updated to improve security, accessibility and mobile experience. Older versions of Internet Explorer do not provide the functionality required for these changes and as such your browser will no longer be supported as of September 2020. If you require continued access to this site then you will need to install a different browser such as Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome.

People Australia

  • searches all National Centre of Biography websites
  • searches all National Centre of Biography websites
  • searches all National Centre of Biography websites

Browse Lists:

Lindsay, David Gardyne (1889–1944)

David Gardyne Stuart Lindsay, n.d. photographer unknown

David Gardyne Stuart Lindsay, n.d. photographer unknown

DAVID GARDYNE STUART LINDSAY was born on 3rd October, 1889, at Adelaide, South Australia, the son of Mr. David Lindsay and Mrs. Annie Lindsay. He was educated at St. Peter’s College, Adelaide, and entered the Adelaide Branch of the Bank on 25th May, 1907. On 1st January, 1909, he was transferred to Head Office, and five days later to Tumut, as ledger-keeper. He went back to Adelaide Branch in November, and in December, 1909, was sent to Jamestown, as assistant. In July, 1913, he was again transferred to Head Office.

David Lindsay enlisted on 10th August, 1914, and left Australia with the 1st Light Horse on 19th October. After service at Maadi and Heliopolis, he sailed for Gallipoli, and landed at Anzac Cove on 12th May, 1915, having just previously been promoted to corporal. He took part in the fighting at Suvla Bay and at Lone Pine, and was invalided to Cairo in October.

David Lindsay rejoined his regiment in January, 1916, and was in action with it against the Senussi, then he was transferred from the Light Horse to the Artillery and left Egypt for England in August, 1916. After serving for three months at headquarters in London he was transferred to the 60th Battalion, and proceeded to France, where he was promoted to second-lieutenant in May, 1917, and to lieutenant in the following August.

In the action at Polygon Wood on 25th September, 1917, David Lindsay was wounded and sent to Lady Murray’s Red Cross Hospital, at Le Treport, for three months; thence to the No. 3 London General Hospital, Wandsworth. He left for Australia in February, 1918.

Original Publication

Additional Resources

Citation details

'Lindsay, David Gardyne (1889–1944)', People Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University,, accessed 21 September 2020.

© Copyright People Australia, 2012