Attention Internet Explorer User

Your web browser has been identified as Internet Explorer .

In the coming months this site is going to be updated to improve security, accessibility and mobile experience. Older versions of Internet Explorer do not provide the functionality required for these changes and as such your browser will no longer be supported as of September 2020. If you require continued access to this site then you will need to install a different browser such as Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome.

People Australia

  • searches all National Centre of Biography websites
  • searches all National Centre of Biography websites
  • searches all National Centre of Biography websites

Browse Lists:

Dennison, Michael (c. 1767–?)

Michael Dennison (c.1767- ) was found guilty on 15 April 1785 at the Poole (Dorset) Quarter Sessions of stealing from a sloop. Sentenced to 7 years transportation he was sent to the Ceres hulk on 13 June 1785, where he remained until he embarked for New South Wales on the Alexander in January 1787, arriving in Sydney in January 1788 as part of the First Fleet.

On 26 December 1788 Dennison was sentenced to 150-200 lashes for stealing a bag with a pound of flour. He was sent to Norfolk Island on the Sirius in March 1790. On  24 May 1791 he received 25 lashes for neglect of duty. In July he was subsisting himself on a Sydney Town lot with 30 rods cleared.

Michael Dennison left Norfolk Island on the Atlantic in September 1792. It seems likely, as no later colonial records have been located, that he returned to England.

* information from Mollie Gillen, The Founders of Australia: A Biographical Dictionary of the First Fleet (1989), p 104

Related Entries in NCB Sites

Citation details

'Dennison, Michael (c. 1767–?)', People Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University,, accessed 26 November 2020.

© Copyright People Australia, 2012

Life Summary [details]


c. 1767

Passenger Ship
Key Events
Key Places
Social Issues